GOSHAVANK: The complex of Goshavank was one of the biggest spiritual, educational, and cultural centers of Middle Age Armenia. The Goshavank church was founded in 1180 by the fabulist Mkhitar Gosh in place of Getik monastery, which was destroyed during the earthquake. At first the church was called Nor Getik, but after Gosh’s death, it was renamed Goshavank, in the honor of great fabulist. There are also other monuments not far from the complex: the domical church of Saint Gevorg, the remains of the cell of Mkhitar Gosh and his half destroyed tomb.
In the historical sources, the complex of Goshavank was called a seminary, a seminary for teachers, an academy and a university. Such subjects as Armenian and foreign languages, grammar, philosophy, rhetoric, music, manuscript art and painting were taught there, lots of manuscripts were created and kept there.
Goshavank is one of the most significant monuments of Middle Age Armenian’s decorative art.It is located in the village Gosh of Tavush region, 109.2 km. from Yerevan.


HAGHARTSIN: The monastery complex of Haghartsin, surrounded by ancient oaks, was one of the biggest educational centers of Middle Age Armenia. The complex includes the churches of St. Gregory (X century), St. Stepanos and Mother of God (founded in 1281), two church-porches, a dining hall and a couple of chapels and cross-stones located on the slopes. They were founded during the X-XIII centuries. It is especially worth mentioning the dining hall, which is an essential part of the complex due to its engineering and artistic solution and one of the best samples of Armenian architecture.
The complex is located in the region of Tavush, on the bank of river Haghartsin, 94km from Yerevan.